a cat to copy

I fear mediocrity strongly. I always have, since I was a child. I don't know where it came from. When I consider it completely objectively- It's not so bad. But my "feelings" and my "intuitions" a.k.a. absolutely nothing bite at my belly and tell me to do everything I can to avoid it.

So I must be unique. I must be eccentric. I must be worth reading about. Because I feel this way, I have never considered just how imitative I really am. It's well-known and recognized that children learn basic mannerisms and modes of functioning from their parents. Afterward, it's not so well-known and recognized that adults continue the same imitation- just not of their parents.

I am essentially imitating a few dozen people I admire, hoping that through copying their work habits, life choices and even inconsequential food and drug choices that they'll rub off on me and I will morph into a unique new figure.

There's nothing wrong with this initially, but in my psyche it's joined with stubbornness. When I try to copy a hero in some way; if I'm either incapable, or receive no benefit from it, I will try to stick with it until it works. But sometimes, it just won't work for me.

So now I vow to imitate only one thing, this Bruce Lee Quote:

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."

No comments: