Whatever doesn't kill me is?

So I had a shit day. I've had plenty of them, but this one actually took some magical/optimistic thinking to get through.

Well, I've had a shit month to begin with. March is a shit month in the first place, between the stuttering winter of February and the stuttering spring of april. March just slurs- and if it were a person it would be a drunk man on the street corner asking you for 2 cents.

To begin with, I had to work a "double" as it is called, in my case that's a 4 hour shift, with one hour break, and a 6 1/2 hour shift. It was at 2 different places, so the "break" was used to get coffee and travel to the other location. During the 3rd hour, with images of the day completely overrun by menial labor, I had to think fast why I was doing this. The material reason is simple, because 2 weeks ago I had -24 dollars and alot of things to buy. I thought "I better work more", but then why did I cover a shift yesterday, and tomorrow, making 3 10-hour shifts 3 days in a row?

I flashed(as I, and you should, often do) to a Calvin and Hobbes strip. In the strip, Calvin is trying to be good so Santa will reward him with presents. He is at the dinner table, and eats his plate of dinner mentioning "what are these, maggots? I'm choking them down the best I can, this should be worth X amount of presents!". His mom interjects "more maggots?" sarcastically and Calvin shouts "Sure! Pile em on!".

Pile em on. That is exactly how I felt when taking on so much labor, and how I feel right now. If things are shitty, throw all the shit you can at me, and I will take it all on. I will live shit, do shit and eat shit, and I will smile. I won't gripe, whine or brag about it later, I'll just do it. And I had a thought that though I don't value the particular labor I'm doing, I can at least use a similar ethos for the labor that I do value. It was a pure and simple moment of seeing the glass half-full. I thought of it as cross-training. I had to, not to walk out at any moment. I had to look at the employing class and say "you are increasing my stamina while you pay me very little, and it will all come back to bite you".

They raise people to work 40-80 hours a week. What will the person do if they're clever enough to save their resources and develop no false pride, only resentment? The person will work 40-80 hours on tearing the whole system down when they get the chance. If I can calculate a stores inventory I can ration my energy for an attack.

Maybe I'm a sucker like every other sucker and I suck. But if everything is really what you make of it, the world couldn't expect just what I could make out of it's shit.

No comments: