I don't play in a league

So there's a young woman who came into my place of employment today. I found out she's a co-worker, although I'd never seen her before. That's because she works 1 shift a week, at a time when I've incidentally never had to work. So we were introduced as a basic custom, and I had no reason not to like her. Oh yeah, and she was fucking gorgeous.

So, immediately after she left, I asked another male co-worker if she was exclusively committed to anyone sexually(not in those words) and his response was "YOU'RE gonna try to go out with HER?". After he saw I took offense to his level of surprise, he kept quiet. Though I felt personally slighted, it just reminded me of a huge difference between me and seemingly the rest of the world save 2 friends of mine.

I don't want to echo the cliches "what have you got to lose?" "better to try than go through life thinking what could've been" and even "just be yourself". But I think I have to. You have nothing to lose, it's better to try than go through life thinking what could've been, and just be yourself. I have to repeat it because it's true on all counts.

So imagine this. I ask this girl out on a date(pending I find out she's single, which I didn't find out). The worst case scenario in most peoples minds is "she says no". Well, so the fuck what? She is reassured she's hot shit, I have reassured her I'm confident in myself, and I'm at the exact same place I was before doing it. And best case, she's awesome and I get to indulge in carnal pleasures with her.

Though not explicitly said, it was clear that my simple-minded coworker believed in "leagues". That is, that she, being really hot and pleasant to speak to, was in a better "league" than me, a person who typically has stubble from being too lazy to shave and won't speak except to express luciferian ambitions. Well, needless to say, I don't believe in that bullshit, and I wouldn't want to be involved with anyone who does. So again, there is a staggeringly low amount to "lose". If she is like me, then I could hit a grand slam, and if she does indeed think she's too good for me, I'm at an even better place then I was because I know we wouldn't get along, rather than wondering what pleasures could have been had.

It coincided with something I heard a week before. That was that you shouldn't pick a partner that is worse or even equal to your last one. The speaker added "why take a step backwards? fuck that shit!". I couldn't have said it better. People who play in their own "leagues" are really doing themselves and others a disservice. Not only are you settling for less, but it leaves you tied down to less, bound by less.

All because you're afraid of rejection? Who could care? You're rejected by every light that turns red while you drive and every popcorn kernel that just doesn't pop in a bag. It doesn't mean you don't drive and don't eat popcorn.

No comments: