Cobe's theory of mellodrama

An emotions intensity is left up to the mercy, or intentions, of the beholder.
Each and every person is only privy to the range of emotions they've felt. And so, when I say I am "sad", I may or may not be feeling the same way you did when you were "depressed". For all I know, I may have the exact same physical and mental sensations you did, and I am by your standards "depressed". If I have been more sad, what I call depressed, then this, by my own personal comparison, is just sad.

It is a common theme in my life that people define me as cold and often lacking emotion. I have concluded that I am not unemotional, and that these people who define me as such are not feeling anything more intense(in either direction) than I am. Instead of me being halfway to sociopathy, I think that they are blowing things out of proportion for attention. It is the assumption of normalcy that puts a wedge between us both.

man A loses his job of 20 years. He is wildly depressed. man B loses his job of 20 years. He is annoyed. man A does nothing to help himself until the feeling passes, whereas man B, with the "abnormal" mild emotional reaction, works on getting another job. Emotions are only justified insofar as they are productive. Anything more, is melodramatic.

No comments: