southern shit

I moved to winston-salem, north carolina from baltimore, maryland on september 3rd. Since then, my eyes have been peeled for "culture shock" moments. I was surprised(or maybe not that surprised) by how few of them there have been. My daily life is remarkably(or maybe not that remarkably) similar to daily life before.

That said, It's not as if I haven't noticed any difference. 1 in about 8 homes with visible residents appear to be what any xenophobic yankee would guess. One close to me, in particular, usually has 4-8 people on their porch. About half of them are shirtless(with seemingly more "sag" in their skin than is typical), and most of them stare at me/us while I/we are close to their home.

Another incident of note was when me and my roommate returned home from a trip to maryland to get some things and there was a note on our door that informed us our power had been shut off. That's nothing unique, except that when we called our landlord to inform him of the discrepancy he immediately promised to come over and fix it.

When he showed up, he was shirtless, and he informed us that he knows how to steal power. He then took a screwdriver to the side of our house and in no time had our lights and appliances running. While he was doing so, our neighbor, who was also shirtless, came out to talk. The conversation, all about how the power company sucked, went on for about a half hour with no one recognizing anthing bizzare going on.

1 comment:

Feng said...

Ha ha ha. Wow. Talk about culture shock.