feelings

My feelings are chosen. To me, they don’t just happen. In my experience this is unusual; It is far more usual to hear accounts, or witness feelings happening, without input from the effected party. It’s true that feelings arise organically. If they didn’t, this would be a sterile and barren world. What I’m pontificating on is the methods to address them.


Chief among these methods is to go with the flow. This appears to be the preferred action of every human except me. The effort in addressing emotions is difficult, and for this fairly obvious reason, this method could be the result of laziness. Other times it is the result of a religious or superstitious world view. For a person who believes in fate, they are bound by whatever is determined, and it would be futile to combat. For a person who believes in karma or reciprocation, they are only receiving change on what they’ve paid. These livelihoods (If they can be called that) stifle personal control and responsibility.


I, on the other hand, don’t believe in these things, so I control my emotions. It is possible, but it takes time. In accordance with what do I alter my feelings, you didn’t ask? Logic and desire. That’s right; my emotions are subject to logic. If a feeling doesn’t make sense, I remember that it doesn’t, until it dies. Believe me, it does die. On the opposite side of the coin, I have an image of how I’d like to act and my life to be. If an emotion is conducive to that image, I amplify it.


So when you, whoever you are; (you can probably assume who it is) a girlfriend, a friend, a family member, a stranger, tell me “that’s just how I feel”, I can’t accept it. I have to tell you the truth, because a feeling I’ve pushed to permeate my life is honesty. If you submit to the circumstance of your emotions, you are either lazy of full of shit. We’d all die from gluttony or misadventure if we obeyed how we feel. Recognize your delusions and take some control.

No comments: