Start and maybe finish

I'm amused by the phrase "the creative force". It sounds so... forceful. It makes it sound as if the creative person was casually doing laundry, paying bills or some other monotonous chore and was suddenly taken and guided by an irresistible force that caused him to create something.

This has happened to me a handful of times in my life. Usually the results were fairly mediocre. I'm sure some of it may have been good, some of it not that good, if I could even remember. Similar results have been begot by me through sitting in a room alone and trying to turn boredom into genius. The same yield from getting uncomfortably drunk and writing every thought I had down. The same from drinking coffee until it did the work for me.

I haven't noticed a better quality output using any particular method. I've only noticed a decreased quantity from trying to optimize quality. It's a hard truth every creative person must face: If you decide to work on something, you may be wasting your time. Your ideas can't all bloom and blossom, some of them never even sprout.

There's no creative force, inspiration, drive or otherwise. There's only the act of creating, for any reason at all.

No comments: