Reading comic books while I wait.



I've always loved this particular Calvin and Hobbes strip. I'm not one to make too much of a simple piece of entertainment, like the woman who wrote this, but I must say without hyperbole, that this comic strip's insights about life would cause a thousand gods in a thousand universes to cry tears of relief, if only they were lucky enough to see it.



Off the bat it brings up the idea of "success". For many people "success" is as corny as their daily horoscope and worded just the same, if I could be so bold as to imitate: "I just wanna be successful. Ya'know, like have some good friends and be able to visit my family and have a job that gets me enough money to have that car in that commercial on my cable TV set. Also, I don't want any big meanies hanging around!".

However, since this is Calvin's character speaking, you know "success" is something more grandiose, sinister, and by extension; fun. Which is my idea of success. Extraordinary success. The kind of success wherein I could find a schizophrenic homeless person and award him with Joe-dime-bag-of-mexican-weed's idea of success just for the lulz.



Calvin uses sense and logic to resolve the issue, but like always, because living life is not as much like solving a math problem as it should be, his solution is too simple. And begs these questions:

1-What is the right place?, and

2-Wouldn't it be boring just waiting for the right time?



Hobbes response "Being with you, it's just one epiphany after another" could roughly translate to "That's sort of clever, but you sound like a punk bitch", which is exactly what my more self-aware thoughts are telling me about this post right now. Coincidence? No.

Calvin's final suggestion is the heart of the exchange. He wants success, but he's rationalizing what he wants to do anyhow as a step to success. I see myself and many of my creative friends that way. If you really believe the "right place at the right time" method, you might be able to calculate the right place and the right time for success, but if you can't enjoy yourself before then, who wants it?

So do it like Calvin(always the best option): Do what you like, and eventually it might be the right place at the right time.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Cobe, with you, it's just one epiphany after another.