Never Lose your Ego

A stream of consciousness should be like a raging river. Maybe a geyser. Never just a trickle though. No one wants to read thoughts that only babble on a brook. They need to cut permanent canyons. And don’t even offer anything if your consciousness is clear and free of fish and debris. I only want to take a swim if there’s salmon swimming upstream and huge branches falling down from the thunderstorm of your internal dialogue. I only catch the big fish. I only use live bait and I drive in a big fucking boat. I always drink beer, always buy american and spank my kid when he’s bad. I call my mom and I love jesus. I change my oil on time, every time. I make sure my kids are at school on time and I drive them in the vehicle with the highest safety rating. I stop at red lights. Don’t inch up. It’s not going to turn green from will alone. Take your time, you wouldn’t want your surgeon to rush. You wouldn’t want your pacemaker to rush. You wouldn’t want a writer to rush and you definitely don’t want that crowd to rush. You’ll be trampled like so much road kill without the similar courtesy of seeing a rainbow in that gasoline spill first. Without the efficiency of a vulture picking your corpse clean. Without the comradery of the birds flying south. We need each other. It’s clear when you look down and imagine when you looked up no one was flying with you. But they always are. There’s always some ahead and if you’re lucky, some behind. It’s all about the system. Can’t break it. Stay in formation. Stay in formation while the motorcyclists stay in formation, while the sedimentary rock stays in formation, while the gymnasts stay in formation, while the clouds stay in formation and spray information to the sea below. Don’t forget what we know, and never lose your ego.

No comments: